An ounce of Prevention

After a recent conversation with a wonderful, young and enthusiastic dayhome provider, I got thinking about insurance for dayhome providers. She had an incident where a child got hurt (nothing serious), and despite notifying the parent and doing everything correctly, she was concerned that the injury might come back to bite her.

Now, lets get real, kids get hurt. That is just reality. We can’t wrap them in a bubble and keep them safe, nor should we! We need to let kids push their boundaries and figure out what they can and cannot do. However, when the child is not your own child, there is concern about the repercussions of  a possible injury. How will the parents react? Could I get sued?

The question is, what to do about it? Communicate, communicate, communicate. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If something happens, be upfront and honest about it. Even if it is minor, parents should always be notified. If it is more serious, you may want to fill out an incident and injury report so that the injury is in writing and documented. Just be sure to get it signed.  This should help you prevent most issues.

As part of your business costs, make sure you have insured yourself and your home. I called our insurance broker to ask an expert about what he recommends for dayhome providers. I discovered that his wife is a dayhome provider as well, so he REALLY knew what he was talking about. I love it when my worlds collide.

Anyways….you simply need to phone your insurance provider and talk to them about adding an extra rider on your home coverage. This should cost you between $40-$60 per year extra. If you run your dayhome differently, and have extra people working with you so that you can provide care for more than 6 children, then you need to have corporate coverage (this is what we have). This is significantly more costly. It will cost between $1000 and $1200/year.  But remember, you should need this level of coverage ONLY if you have more than 6 children in your care at any given time… which means you have an employee to assist you.

If you are in the above situation, where you have employees because you take in more than 6 children, you also need to have WCB coverage. This is in the event that you or your employee(s) gets injured at work. For more details on this coverage, you can visit the WCB site itself.

We all hope and wish that nothing happens to our kids, but reality is that things happen. For peace of mind, ensure that you have the coverage, the contracts and the communication tools in place in case something DOES happen.  If you don’t have the papers and contracts in place to give you that peace of mind, be sure to visit our Shop and purchase the Dayhome Business Package!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *