Teaching Degree = ?What?

We recently got these questions from a dayhome owner, and as a certified teacher myself, it certainly peaked my interest. After some digging and asking around, I thought I should share the answers with a greater audience.

I have a teaching degree, but I want to open my own dayhome. What certification level do I have?  A certified teacher in Alberta qualifies as a Level 3 Early Childhood Educator.  You can check any of your qualifications using this handy chart! http://humanservices.alberta.ca/documents/child-care-educational-equivalencies-chart.pdf.  As you will notice on this chart, many different degrees and experience translate into either a Level 2 or 3 in terms of Early Childhood Education. For example, a Phys. Ed degree = Level 2.

Can you give me an idea of what I should be charging per child? I plan to have a high-quality program and would like prices to reflect this. This is a harder question to answer. As a trained educator, its important to reflect your training in your pricing. I have seen full time monthly rates range from $400-$1000/month.   If you think that Community based playschools are at LEAST $110/month, and as much as $200/month, for only 7.5 hours per week, and provide no meals, even $1000 is a bargain!  However, the average seems to be about $750-$800/month.   When it comes to setting prices, you need to do a gut check. What seems too low, what seems too high?  Set the amount you are comfortable with in that range.
Regardless of what you charge, and what training you have, you need to demonstrate to parents that you are organized and well prepared to look after their child. As you know, our children are our most precious assets.  One way you can do that is by having all your documents lined up. You can purchase all the documents you need to share with parents at http://shop.dayhomeregistry.com/collections/frontpage/products/parent-and-dayhome-resource-bundle

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *